Try a simple vegetarian dish we called baked vegetable cake, savory and loaded with goodies. This veggie cake is super easy to make, tastes delicious and even meat-eaters will love it. It feels like a loaded savory sponge cake, it is filling and will leave you to want some more.
A baked veggie cake is also a great appetizer idea if you want to try something new and impress your guests. If you haven’t tried it yet, here is the recipe.
Baked Vegetable Cake Recipe
- 175 g small carrots
- 100 g green beans
- 2 leeks
- 15 g butter
- 100 g mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper
- 8 egg yolks
- 300 ml fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Boil in salted water the carrots, beans and leeks, one at a time and leave to dry.
- Sauté the mushrooms in butter.
- Bake/grill the bell pepper, peel it and cut into strips.
- Turn the oven on.
- Coat a rectangular oven pan with butter.
- Beat the yolks with the cream and nutmeg to make a sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Use half the carrots and beans to make the first layer in the pan.
- Sprinkle a little cheese, then cover with a layer of sauce.
- Use half the bell peppers strips for the second.
- Again, cover with cheese and then sauce.
- The third layer is with leeks and mushrooms, cheese and sauce.
- Repeat until you finish all the veggies.
- The final layer is cheese and sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and plane the pan in a tray half filled with boiling water.
- Bake for 2 hours, until the cake is hardened.
- Allow to cool, then put in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Serve with tomato sauce.