Eggplant is one of the most delicious vegetables when you know how to cook it to perfection. In combination with Mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce, eggplant gratin is an amazing dish everyone will love.
This is a vegetarian main course with eggplant, that you can also serve as a side dish or even appetizer. If you want to cook eggplant totally delicious, try the eggplant gratin recipe below.
Gratin Eggplant Recipe
- 3-4 eggplants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 150 g Mozzarella cheese
- 2 onions
- 500 g tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- Cut the eggplant into slices, and put in the strainer for 30 minutes to drain out the water.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion slightly.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and garlic, the bay leaf, thyme, salt, sugar and black pepper.
- Continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool and then strain through the sieve.
- Separately fry the eggplant after they have been well drained of water and passed through the flour.
- Pour a few tablespoons of sauce in a heat resistant glass tray.
- Place a few thin slices of Mozzarella cheese over the sauce and then a layer of fried eggplant.
- Repeat until you finish all the ingredients and leave the last layer of sauce.
- Put grated cheese mixed with breadcrumbs on top.
- Sprinkle with melted butter and bake until brown.