Fried rice balls are a very popular Italian appetizer, also known as Arancini. The recipe we have here for you adds a little twist to your regular fried rice balls.
This recipe is originally from Sicily and there they call it arancini. Of course, traditionally these fried rice balls are filled with grated mozzarella. But you can make them with grated Cheddar cheese or other easy to melt cheeses that you prefer.
Why Try the Fried Cheese Rice Balls?
These cheese rice balls also have spinach, onions, and parley in them, and a subtle hint of nutmeg. We’re telling you, these fried cheese rice balls are amazingly delicious. More so, you can serve them as appetizers or as sides with a meat dish. Just lovely!
Without further ado, let’s cook cheese rice balls like pros, with the recipe below.
Cheese Rice Balls Recipe – Arancini Recipe
- 225 g rice
- 350 g fresh chopped spinach cut
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 beaten egg
- 225 g cheese
- 175 g breadcrumb
- Boil the rice and the spinach separately.
- Saute the onion for 1 minute and mix it together with the cooked rice and spinach in a bowl.
- Add the chopped parsley, nutmeg, egg and season.
- Make 8 rice balls and put in the fridge to cool for 20 minutes.
- Insert a piece of cheese and in each rice ball.
- Roll them in the breadcrumb and keep in the fridge for another 20 minutes.
- Fry the rice balls in hot oil for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with green salad.
If you enjoyed our recipe, we recommend that you also try our fried parsnip balls recipe here.