Try a delicious and simple eggplant and beans moussaka recipe, the vegetarian version. Moussaka is a very popular Middle Eastern and Greek dish, with few ingredients and usually ground meat. However, this moussaka recipe here is a vegetarian version.
Why The Vegetarian Beans Moussaka Recipe?
Eggplant and beans moussaka is a delicious alternative to traditional ground meat moussaka, ideal for those who don’t eat meat or want to eat lighter. Discover a light and savory summer recipe, the simple eggplant, and beans moussaka right below.
Simple Eggplant and Beans Moussaka Recipe
- 450 g eggplant slices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions cut into strips
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 zucchini cut into thin slices
- 400 g canned white beans
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 300 ml yogurt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 125 g grated cheese
- Put the eggplant slices in a strainer and sprinkle with salt.
- Leave for 30 minutes, then rinse with water and pat dry with a towel.
- Heat up the oven.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the zucchini, beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce and simmer covered on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the eggplant slices.
- Put the eggplants and white beans mixture in alternative layers in a heat-resistant pan.
- Finish with an eggplant layer on top.
- Beat the yogurt with the eggs and the nutmeg.
- Pour over the eggplant moussaka and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake the eggplant moussaka for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot with green salad aside.