Savory rolls are such a simple to do yet spectacular appetizer. This here is a simple savory spinach and cheese roll with a delicious tomato sauce to top it off.
We guarantee you that you’ll love this savory vegetarian appetizer recipe rich in cheese and spinach. Want to try a new vegetarian recipe? The spinach roll with cheese and tomato sauce should definitely get on your list.
Spinach and Cheese Roll with Tomato Sauce Recipe
For the roll dough:
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan grated
- 50 g flour
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 75 g grated Cheddar cheese
- 125 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
For the spinach filling:
- 350 g spinach very thinly chopped
- 100 g cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tablespoons parsley
For the sauce:
- 6 red tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Heat up the oven.
- Line a 20×30 cm oven tray of with parchment paper and grease with butter.
- Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese on the greased parchment paper.
- Sift the flour and mix it with the grated Cedar cheese.
- Add the milk, the egg yolks and the chives into the flour mix and incorporate using a wooden spoon.
- Whisk the egg whites until lightly fluff and slowly incorporate them into the mixture and season.
- Pour the cheese batter in the oven tray over the Parmesan and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile grease another parchment paper with butter and sprinkle with the rest of the Parmesan.
- Turn the cooked dough on this parchment paper face down and then remove and clean the first parchment paper.
- Cover with a warm, damp towel and leave to cool.
- For the filling, simmer the spinach for 3-5 minutes, drain and mix it with the cheese, the sour cream, garlic and parsley.
- For the sauce blend the tomatoes with the hand mixer until they turn into a mash.
- Add the sugar, the tomato paste and the ketchup and mix for another minute.
- Season to taste.
- After the cake has cool down completely, spread the spinach mixture over and roll it gently.
- Cut the spinach roll into 8 pieces and serve with tomato sauce and green salad aside.